Don't forget to visit my website! Jackie Coleman - Author

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

I Can't Remember the Name of a Book I LOVED as a Child


There was a book I read in grade school, and I can't remember the name of it. I loved that book and re-read it many times. I remember getting in trouble for reading during math class in the seventh grade ... a lot of trouble! Enough trouble that the teacher called my mother, so you'd think I'd remember the name of the book, wouldn't you? My mother didn't punish me for reading during class ... my mother loved to read, so I don't think it was in her to punish me for reading ... I did, however, get in trouble for smarting-off to the teacher. I was a shy, meek, timid, quiet, compliant little child, so I don't know where I got the nerve to smart-off ... but I did! (In my defense, Mr. Early started it!!)

For the life of me, I can't remember the name of that book. All I can remember is that it was about a girl who had a cow named Bessie (or Betsy, but I think it was Bessie), and there was an apple tree in her yard. At some point, she made apple dumplings. For some reason, I have it in my head that she only got three apples from the tree that year, and I think the book cover was an illustrated image of the apple tree as seen through her bedroom window.

That's all I can remember. I've searched for this book for decades! It's probably out of print, but I'd love to know the name of it. Does anyone have any idea what book this could be?

No comments:

Post a Comment