Don't forget to visit my website! Jackie Coleman - Author

Saturday, March 14, 2015

Blueberry "Pi"

Today is Pi Day. The Greek letter “π” is the symbol used in mathematics to represent a constant, the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter, which is approximately 3.14. 
Don't you find that fascinating? Yeah ... me, neither!
According to piday.org, Pi has been calculated to over one trillion digits beyond its decimal point. As an irrational and transcendental number, it will continue infinitely without repetition or pattern. While only a handful of digits are needed for typical calculations, Pi’s infinite nature makes it a fun challenge to memorize, and to computationally calculate more and more digits.
When I read that last sentence ... "Pi’s infinite nature makes it a fun challenge to memorize, and to computationally calculate more and more digits" ... I was shaking my head and making a face like I'd just drank spoiled milk. Apparently the math geek who wrote that and I have very different views of fun.
Suffice to say, Pi Day doesn't do much for me ... but I'd be all over PIE Day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment