Don't forget to visit my website! Jackie Coleman - Author

Saturday, March 7, 2015

Daylight Savings Time Starts Tomorrow!

Around this time of year, and then again in the fall, I read all sorts of articles about people having difficulty adjusting to the time change. I have never understood that. It's only one hour. If your schedule is so fragile that you can't adjust by one hour, you've got bigger problems that the time!

When my kids were little they went to bed at 8:00. When we changed from Central Standard Time to Daylight Savings Time, they went to bed at 8:00. When we changed back to Central Standard Time, they went to bed at 8:00.

The only "problem" I had with the time change was that when they were little, they couldn't tell time. Once we changed to Central Standard Time, it was dark when I'd pick them up from daycare. Since I had been picking them up while it was light outside, I feared they would think I had forgotten them when it started getting dark and I wasn't there yet ... so I explained CST/DST to them (which they were too young to understand) and told them it would be dark when I picked them up. As it grew dark outside, they weren't afraid Mommy had forgotten about them because we had already discussed it.

We lose one hour, not six. Switching to and from Daylight Savings Time is no big deal!! Quite frankly, I'm not confused at all about why we switch to Daylight Savings Time ... I'm confused that we have to switch back to Central Standard Time! Winter is depressing enough without it being dark during all my free hours. I vote we stay on Daylight Savings Time forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment