Don't forget to visit my website! Jackie Coleman - Author

Thursday, April 30, 2015

Great-Aunt Carrie's Toy Chairs


When I was growing up, my mom would take us kids to see my Grandma, who lived with her spinster sister (Great-Aunt Addie) and her brother's widow (Great-Aunt Carrie).

Aunt Addie and Aunt Carrie tried to stay out of the way and let Grandma visit with us kids, but I'd always wander into Aunt Carrie's room ... and stare at the three little chairs her father whittled for her when she was a little girl. She was born in 1901, so these chairs are over 100 years old now. Aunt Carrie was a sweet old lady. She never had any children, but I suspect she would have been a wonderful, loving mother. I liked being around Aunt Carrie ... and I absolutely adored those chairs!

After Aunt Carrie died, my mom got the three little chairs. I (morbidly) told my mom (often) that when she died, I wanted Aunt Carrie's chairs. When my mother died, my brothers and sisters asked what I wanted. I told them that all I wanted was Aunt Carrie's chairs.

I did get Aunt Carrie's chairs ... and all these years later, I love them as much as I did as a child. Every time I look at them I think of Aunt Carrie's kind eyes and sweet smile. I'm sure it makes her happy when she looks down from heaven to see those chairs taken care of and protected, and that she knows I treasure them as much as she did.

1 comment:

  1. Sweet story!
    I would loved to have been given a treasure like that.
    But without ever being asked if I'd like to have anything of my grandfather's, they were given to a friend to sell at a flea market.
    So I think it's nice that they still mean a lot to you.

    ReplyDelete