Don't forget to visit my website! Jackie Coleman - Author

Thursday, September 1, 2016

Apparently, SEC Football Starts Tonight

I had to Google 'SEC football' to know what SEC is (it's Southeastern Conference). I know several men who live and breathe football, but I've never dated one ... nor have I ever wanted to! I don't mind someone having a hobby or having a show or two they have to watch each week, but football is on all the time! I don't know enough about football to enjoy watching it, and I really don't care if I never know more than I currently do.

Here is what I know about football:
  1. The quarterback either throws or catches the ball.
  2. There is a position called a tight end.
  3. When you get the ball, you get four downs. If you go ten yards on your first down, you get another one.
  4. You get six points for a touchdown and one point for kicking it through the goal posts.
  5. There are four quarters.
  6. And, lastly, the last 45 seconds of the game lasts about an hour and a half!
Many, many years ago I was at some party where a football game was on. It could have been the Super Bowl, but I really don't know. Anyway, I was trying to watch the game and understand what was going on, so I asked a few questions. One guy looked at me and said, "Quit trying to play the dumb blonde. No one can be that stupid!"

"Au contraire!" I told him. "Someone "that stupid" is standing right here!"

If he thought I was stupid because I know so little about about football, I guess it's a good thing we weren't watching rugby. My complete knowledge of rugby is as follows:
  1. They can use their hands and their feet to move the ball. 
  2. They wear shorts. That's it.
Honestly, I know as much as I really care to about sports. If I ever want to know more, I ask a questions. If I encounter someone who tries to belittle me for asking a question, I suddenly lose interest in knowing the answer.

For the record, I have no problem being smarter than someone, and I have never played dumb to make a boy/man feel smart ... on any subject. I don't consider knowing lot about sports to be a sign of intelligence, so no one can make me feel stupid for not knowing something about it. To me, knowledge about sports is trivia, akin to "Did the groundhog see his shadow in 2013?"

The moral of the story fella's, is when a girl asks questions about sports, she's not necessarily flirting! Chances are, as in my case, she's asking because she wants to know the answer. However, if she's giggling and twirling her hair, she's playing you. Good news for you though ... if she's stupid enough to play dumb for you, you've got a pretty good shot at going home with her after the game!

A couple of years back, Thing 2 and a friend (a girl) were watching rugby when I got home from work. I looked at her, in all sincerity, and asked, "Why are you watching sports if no one is making you?!!!"

She replied, "We like rugby!"

Completely baffled, I looked at them and I said, "Oh, uh, um ... okay."

No comments:

Post a Comment