Don't forget to visit my website! Jackie Coleman - Author

Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Sorry For No Post Yesterday

Click on picture to enlarge.
I had it mostly ready to go, but I didn't get up early enough to finish an send it before I went to work. Once at work, I was frantically coding on a program to meet a deadline, and when I got home, I was too pooped to even turn on my computer. I was in bed by 6:30! Thing 2 chastised me for not posting yesterday. She said I let my fans down. I replied, "Both of you?!!!"

So, here's the post I prepared for yesterday ...

On September 13, 1814, Francis Scott Key pens a poem, which later becomes our national anthem. He wrote the poem after witnessing Fort McHenry being bombarded by the British during the war of 1812. At daybreak, Key saw a lone U.S. flag flying over the fort. He was heartened to see that we had withstood the attack, and our tattered flag still proudly flew.

The Star-Spangled Banner was put to music and has stood through the decades to stir patriotism at all who hear it. Standing for our anthem, facing our flag, with our hand over our heart is a way to say thank you to everyone who sacrificed so much to give us the honor of living in this great country.

Enter 2016, where Colin Kaepernick, who plays for the San Francisco 49ers, refuses to stand for the national anthem before games. He is protesting police brutality and racism. I find it rather ironic that he's protesting against America while living the American dream.

Kaepernick has every right to sit or doing whatever he wants during the anthem. The country he's disrespecting when he does that made sure he has that right ... but if he thinks disrespecting our flag and our country is a viable avenue for change, he's sadly deluded.

No comments:

Post a Comment