Don't forget to visit my website! Jackie Coleman - Author

Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Davy and Ben

Davy and Ben in the treehouse.
We moved into my old house in 1999, a few weeks before Davy turned five. A few house up the street was a family with five boys and one girl. Davy was instant friends with Ben, and later his little brother Noah.

Whoever woke up first would eat breakfast, then head to the others house as fast as they could … and the day would begin. They'd come in for drinks and snacks, but they spent every day going full speed, from one adventure to another. Ben and Noah were good kids and they came from a good family. I got to know a lot of my neighbors pretty well. I felt fortunate to have such good neighbors, and doubly grateful that the boys my son played with were being raised with the same Christian upbringing.

When Davy died, Ben came to the visitation, inconsolable. He had spent nearly every day of his youth with my son. He was shocked and heartbroken, and it broke my heart to see him in such pain.

I don't know what those boys played all day, but they never seemed to run out of something to do. I probably don't want to know what all they did! When I called Davy in for the night, he was covered in dirt and sweat … exhausted and smiling. Seeing those boys so dirty and sweaty … and smelling like puppies … made me so happy. I was so thankful that Davy had good friends, just a few houses away. There were other little boys in the neighborhood, but Davy and Ben and Noah were the best of friends.

Ben is an artist and asked if he could paint a picture of Davy. Of course, I was thrilled and said yes. He came over last night and we went through pictures. Ben told me some of the things he and Davy did growing up. All I can say is that it's a good thing I didn't know what all they were up to! They weren't doing anything really wrong, just things that would have stopped my heart if I had seen them!

Painting Davy is Ben's way of honoring his friend, and it's been weighing on his heart to get started. Ben was a good kid, and he's a fine young adult. I'm glad he was Davy's friend.

No one can believe that Davy, so full of energy and life and always up for an adventure, is gone. It doesn't seem fair that he was taken so young, and I'll wonder "Why?" for the rest of my days. Still, I believe everything happens for a reason, but I know what my first question for God will be … "Why?"

PLEASE KEEP YOUR EYE OUT
FOR THE CAR THAT KILLED MY SON!
Even if you don't live in the Evansville area, please keep an eye out for this car. It was traveling South on I-69. It could have been coming from and going to anywhere. The Sheriff's office will follow up any ANY lead.

The Sheriff’s Office has identified the make and model of the suspect vehicle from the fatal hit and run crash that killed 23-year old David “Davy” Egan, father of two, on Friday, June 22, 2018 on I-69 near south Green River Road.

SUSPECT VEHICLE: Silver 1998-2002 Honda Accord sedan. 2-door or 4-door body style. The vehicle will have damage to the front end.

If you know of a vehicle matching this description, please contact the Sheriff's Office TIP line at 812-421-6297 or leave a web tip here.

No comments:

Post a Comment