Don't forget to visit my website! Jackie Coleman - Author

Friday, August 10, 2018

We Planted Davy's Roadside Cross Last Night

We were lucky enough to have a deputy with the Vanderburgh Sheriff's Department, Zach Whicker, who sat in his car with lights flashing to keep us safe while we set it up. I hope he knows how grateful we are to have his assistance.


The cross wasn't as big as we thought it would be, but that's what you get when you order online and don't pay close enough attention to the dimensions. But, it's made of steel and coated so that it's rust-proof. Besides, the cross is for the people who loved Davy, not necessarily passers-by.


This is something I never thought I'd have to do. This is just one of many "firsts" I've had to face, and there will be many more in the coming year. Shopping for clothes to bury my son was something I never thought I'd have to do. Seeing my child in a casket was another thing I never thought I'd have to endure. Picking out the clothes and shoes to wear to the funeral home for my son was yet another thing I never thought I'd be forced to do. It's not that cared what I looked like, I just knew I'd be standing all day, so I needed to wear comfortable shoes ... and I knew I'd need pockets for tissues. Most of women's dresses don't have pockets, but I have a few that do, so those were the dresses I had to choose from. I certainly didn't want to go shopping for a new dress. All I really wanted to do was sleep, or sit on the sofa and stair off into space. Besides, my closet is bulging with dresses ... the last thing I need is another one.



Davy died on the overpass itself, so we couldn't mark the exact spot with his cross. We chose to set it next to the 30 mile marker. It seemed fitting, since that is the marker everyone referenced in the 911 calls.

Placing Davy's cross wasn't a pleasant experience, but we were able to hold off on the tears until the very end. It felt good to publicly honor my son. Most people who drive by probably won't see it, but the people who love him will ... and that's all that matters.

PLEASE KEEP YOUR EYE OUT
FOR THE CAR THAT KILLED MY SON!
Even if you don't live in the Evansville area, please keep an eye out for this car. It was traveling South on I-69. It could have been coming from and going to anywhere. The Sheriff's office will follow up any ANY lead.

The Sheriff’s Office has identified the make and model of the suspect vehicle from the fatal hit and run crash that killed 23-year old David “Davy” Egan, father of two, on Friday, June 22, 2018 on I-69 near south Green River Road.

SUSPECT VEHICLE: Silver 1998-2002 Honda Accord sedan. 2-door or 4-door body style. The vehicle will have damage to the front end.

If you know of a vehicle matching this description, please contact the Sheriff's Office TIP line at 812-421-6297 or leave a web tip here.

No comments:

Post a Comment