Don't forget to visit my website! Jackie Coleman - Author

Thursday, February 11, 2016

Rocking Out, Circa 1975


I walked through an empty conference room at work and heard music playing very softly. At first I thought it was coming through the sound system of the room, then I noticed an old Hitachi am/fm radio on the window ledge. 41 years after it was made, it's still playing, loud and clear. I wonder how many of the portable radio's being produced in 2016 will still work in 2057?

Unlike items made today, things made years ago were made to last. My kids always make fun of me when I get out my hand mixer. It's easily as old, or older, than the above radio, but it still works. A few years ago Thing 1 bought me a new one so that I didn't have to use my ancient mixer anymore. The new one quit working within a few months (the beaters wouldn't stay in and would fly off when I turned it on). Fortunately, I had the foresight to keep my old one ... which I am now using again.

Maybe the reason "vintage" items are making such a comeback is because they still work, and will continue to work long after the "new" stuff is buried and forgotten in the landfill!

No comments:

Post a Comment