Don't forget to visit my website! Jackie Coleman - Author

Sunday, August 23, 2015

Adults Can Learn a Lot from Kids


Last weekend Superman and I took his grandsons to McDonald's for lunch. While we were eating, the (almost) six-year old said his job was to teach adults to have more fun. I guess he thinks adults are too uptight and serious. Of course, it's easy to do nothing but have fun when you have doting parents who make sure your life happy and carefree ... but he's right. Most adults don't laugh enough.

When I was raising my three kids alone, I was stressed beyond measure, but if you ask them, they had a wonderful childhood, full of fun and adventure and new experiences. I hid the anxiety and the fear, and they were completely unaware that I sometimes felt like I was drowning in responsibility. But, the responsibilities were mine, not theirs. My job was to shield and protect them, and their job was to run and play and learn and grow. So, I did my job, and that allowed them to do their's. I laughed a lot when the kids were growing up, but not nearly as much as they did ... and not nearly as much as I could ... or should ... have.

One of the best parts of my life now is how much I laugh. I laugh often with family, friends, and co-workers. But I laugh the most when I'm with Superman. We laugh a lot when we're together, in person, on the phone, and in texts and emails. Our kids don't think we're nearly as funny as we think we are. They think it's funny that we think we're funny ... but we ignore their rolling eyes and tortured groans ... Superman and I think we're a hoot!

No comments:

Post a Comment