Don't forget to visit my website! Jackie Coleman - Author

Tuesday, December 27, 2022

Video Stores

 
I watched "The Last Blockbuster" on Netflix this afternoon and it brought back so many memories. I'd all but forgotten all of our trips to the video store! When video stores were on every corner, the kids and I would rent video's pretty much every weekend. It was a fun family outing. In the early years, I could only afford to rent one video for all of us and I'd order a pizza when we got home. But, as my income grew, each kid got to rent a movie of their choice. We'd buy candy and popcorn, stop for fast food afterwards, then head home.

Sometimes there was a specific movie we were looking for., and later games (once they started renting them). Other (most) times we'd all just wander around and see what struck our fancy.

Once we got home, the kids all had smiles on their faces. They were happy, which made me happy! The kids got to stay up past their bedtime eating junk food while we'd watch our movies. Half the time one (or all) of them would be asleep by the time it was all said and done. I'd have to wake them up, and they'd all stumble up the stairs to go to bed. In the morning I'd come downstairs to one of the movies or game being played. 

As much as I enjoy the convenience of streaming services, I feel sorry for the families that no longer have that option. It was something to look forward to and do together as a family. It was fun! 

The kids and I did everything together, and it was wonderful. I loved making them happy! Even so, I was overwhelmed as a single parent and longed for some "alone time". Now they are grown, married, and have families of their own with which to make their own traditions and rituals ... and all I want is to go back to the days I struggled to make ends meet and spent all my days and nights making memories with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment