Don't forget to visit my website! Jackie Coleman - Author

Friday, November 23, 2018

Thanksgiving Wasn't Too Bad

None of us knew what Thanksgiving would be like on our first major holiday without Davy. It wasn't as bad as I feared it would be, but it was hardly our usual joyous celebration. I received emails and texts from several people, and a card from my old neighbor. Without knowing what the other was up to, we both decided to sell our houses at the same time, and we both moved the same weekend. Her two boys live down south, so she moved to Georgia to be close to them.

As neighbors go, we were pretty close. She was always so kind to the kids and I. She lost her husband of 36 years in 2008 and was devastated. They had started dating when she was seventeen, and he's the only man she's ever loved or kissed. Davy would go over to her house everyday after school and throughout the summer and fall. She would probably rather have been left alone, but she welcomed him in. Davy felt a duty to her. He loved her and she was grieving and hurting so deeply ... and his daily visits were his way of telling her she was still loved and that she wasn't alone. Davy, for all of his faults, had a very tender heart and was very empathetic towards the pain of others.

I'm grateful for the army of people praying for us. The fact that we are able to function at all is the result of the faithful lifting up our names to the Lord, asking him to give us strength and help us heal. It didn't help matters any that Thanksgiving was five months to the day that Davy was killed.

So back to the race ... there was a group of us walking or running, and spouses to cheer us at the finish line. The runners were grateful for the cold, and the news people were reporting that with the temps in the 30-40° range, it would be a perfect day to run/walk a race ... but I'm much more suited to temperatures 60° or higher. I was uncomfortably cold.

We started out the day running or walking in the Turkey Day 5k wearing the shirts Thing 2 and I had made the three of us in memory of Davy. The only picture I have of the girls and I isn't very good. Oh, the girls look perfectly adorable, as usual, but I, as usual, do not ... I look like one of the Beatles cut my hair! I had pulled it up so that it didn't hang over the back of the shirt. I should have left it down. I was so cold I ended up wearing a jacket, with shirt was barely visible. Pulling the hood up and tying it wasn't attractive at the time, or later, when I took the hood off. Even if I were tall and had legs for days, I'd starve to death as a model. I am not photogenic!

Front of shirt ...
 

Back of shirt ...

After the race, we socialized a little bit, then everyone headed home. Later we all gathered at Cracker Barrel for our Thanksgiving dinner. It was the usual line-up of suspects ... myself, my kids and their spouses/kids, my sister, and her husband and son. Davy wasn't there, of course, so it didn't really feel like Thanksgiving. But, that's okay. It's hard to celebrate anything when you're missing someone so bad you can barely breathe.

I don't know how we'll all deal with Christmas. In all honesty, none of us are looking forward to Christmas. Quite the contrary ... we're all dreading it. Still, I'm sure prayers and kindness from others will help us get through the holiday season ... even if all we really want to do is go to bed and wake up in January.


The family of Davy Egan is offering a $1,000 REWARD for information leading to the arrest of the person responsible for his death in a fatal hit and run on I-69 South on the Green River overpass in Evansville, Indiana around 11:00pm on Friday, June 22, 2018.The car that hit him was determined to be a 1998-2002 Silver Honda Accord. There would have been considerable damage to the front, passenger side of the vehicle, but it could be repaired by now. (See the Sheriff Bulletin below).

If you have any information, please contact the Sheriff's Office TIP line at 812-421-6297 or leave a web tip here.

 
PLEASE KEEP YOUR EYE OUT
FOR THE CAR THAT KILLED MY SON!

Even if you don't live in the Evansville area, please keep an eye out for this car. It was traveling South on I-69. It could have been coming from and going to anywhere. The Sheriff's office will follow up any ANY lead.

The Sheriff’s Office has identified the make and model of the suspect vehicle from the fatal hit and run crash that killed 23-year old David “Davy” Egan, father of two, on Friday, June 22, 2018 on I-69 near south Green River Road.
SUSPECT VEHICLE: Silver 1998-2002 Honda Accord sedan. 2-door or 4-door body style. The vehicle will have damage to the front end.

If you know of a vehicle matching this description, please contact the Sheriff's Office TIP line at 812-421-6297 or leave a web tip here.

No comments:

Post a Comment