Don't forget to visit my website! Jackie Coleman - Author

Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Am I Crazy?

My sister, painting the flower cupcake toppers.
My cupcake-obsessed daughter wants cupcakes at her wedding rather than a traditional tiered cake. I'm having a professional bake them, and we'll pick them up Friday ... but we'll have to ice them. The Chef would have iced them had I asked, but I wanted something not only beautiful, but unique, so I came upon the idea of making a fondant flower to adorn each cupcake. Thing 1 also loves Gerber daisies, so I decided to put a flower on each one ... a different color for each flavor. I knew it would be labor intensive, and that paying someone to make them would be cost-prohibitive ... so I decided I'd just have to make them myself.

Yesterday my sister and I spent the afternoon making (some of) the cupcake toppers. She can ice cakes with fancy swirls and shells and make flowers out of royal icing, but she had never made anything with fondant ... so before we began, I gave her a crash-course in fondant.

After class, I rolled out the fondant and cut out the flowers while she painted the center of each daisy brown. After the center was painted, she painted the petals. I stopped cutting out daisies after making enough for two flavors of the cupcakes, and helped her paint the flowers. One. By. One. ... Petal. By. Petal.

Both of my daughters and my best friend have watched me make so many of the things for the wedding and are just amazed at how talented I am! Ha ... if only they knew! It's all smoke and mirrors. What they don't know is that I have no idea how I'm going to accomplish most of the tasks I give myself ... or what it's going to look like when I'm done. Through trial and error, however, I usually hit upon a plan that will work and produce the desired results.

Today, our first task will be to make the flowers for the other two flavors of cupcakes ... which will take us several hours ... then we'll move on to conquer other things on the To-Do list. This week has been nothing but non-stop, tedious, time-consuming chores ... and my sister has shown up every day to help without complaint. Luckily (for me), she and her husband really love my daughter! I am so grateful for her help.

When I look at the results of our work, I am quite pleased and my daughter is tickled pink ... which only spawns more ideas that force me to figure out how to do something else I have no idea how to do!! So I guess my question, "Am I crazy?",  is really rhetorical.  I think we all know the answer. Yes ... I am crazy! This is all for my daughter's wedding. I'm kind of obligated to do this stuff ... so I guess the question I should be asking is, "Is my sister crazy?" Actually, that's a rhetorical question too.  Yes, she is!

No comments:

Post a Comment