Don't forget to visit my website! Jackie Coleman - Author

Saturday, June 20, 2015

Annoying Internet Ads

I can't say that I have never clicked on an ad on the internet, but I can honestly say I can count on one hand the times I have ... and that every single time, the ad turned out to be misleading.

Note to advertisers: If you have to deceive potential buyers to get them to view your products, maybe you should find something else to sell ... or advertise without misleading them on the price. If it costs $50, don't lure customers to your website with the promise that it's less hoping they'll buy something anyway.

My NUMBER ONE pet peeve is internet advertising that flashes, twirls, spins, or is in any way animated to draw attention to itself.  Those ads get my attention, but only long enough to remove it from my sight. On my ipad, I zoom in on what I actually want to read to push the offending ad off-screen. On my chromebook or laptop, I resize the window and/or drag the page to the side ... forcing the ad off the screen entirely. Or I just quit reading that article altogether.

When I'm trying to read an article, I DO NOT want ads spinning or flashing or twirling in my periphery. It's EXTREMELY annoying! I don't personally know anyone else who goes to the extremes I do to keep from seeing flashing crap on the internet, but searches for how to turn off different types of animations show me that I'm not the only one who feels this way, even if I am in the minority.

On my laptop (work and home), have one of the browsers configured to where all animation is turned off. Using that browser can be a hassle at times, because java-driven menus and navigation bars don't work, but I deal with it. If there is a video or animation (or a menu) I want to see/use, I have to copy the link and open it in a different browser. Fortunately, I find this a small price to pay for not having to be slapped with annoying animation.

I have some coding ability, but not enough to create a browser that plays animation only when you tell it to. Maybe, if I'm a very good girl this year, Santa will bring me one for Christmas!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment