Don't forget to visit my website! Jackie Coleman - Author

Tuesday, October 2, 2018

If You're Looking for Vinca Vines ...

I'm sorry, but I bought all of them!


A while back I found some vinca vines on sale for 99¢. Thrilled, I bought 15 of them. I wanted to buy more, but I didn't know exactly how many I needed, and I didn't want to buy so many that I couldn't get them planted before winter.


Then, last weekend I found vinca vines for 31¢, and I got really excited. I bought 36 of them. The next day, I wondered why I didn't buy more. I don't know exactly how many I need, but I do know I need more than 36! I easily need twice that many ... so I went back and bought the rest of them. I now have 84 vinca vines to plant. I spent $27.86 for seven dozen plants. At full price, they would have cost me $268.74. I wasn't planning on planting the vines this fall, but at a savings like that, I couldn't pass them up.

I decided clearing the sod was the most important, so I spent a few hours Sunday clearing part of the hill. It had rained a lot, so it was "easy" work (easier than when it hasn't rained, that is!). Once I get the hill cleared, I'll start planting. I've got some vacation scheduled, so I'll get the vines planted, bring in the outdoor furniture, and tidy up the yard for winter. (Sob!)


It's a thankless job and the dirt looks mighty lonely with the baby vines right now, but vinca vines spread very quickly. By next summer, they will have completely filled the hill and will be encroaching on my yard ... but I can keep them in check with the lawnmower.

Next year I'll need to pull the sod up from around the box woods, put up a border, and fill it with mulch. I'm hoping that next year I'll be able tackle the fireplace down the hill and clear paths in the woods. That was supposed to be a project for this spring/summer ... but torn cartilage in my ribs and my son's death kind of knocked the wind out of me ... literally and figuratively ... so I didn't get to a lot of the things I had planned.

Things will never be the same without my son, but I'm hoping 2018 will go down as the worst year of my life. I stop shy of saying "What could be worse than losing my child?" because I don't want to tempt fate ... and I don't ever want to face more pain than I've been dealt this year.

PLEASE KEEP YOUR EYE OUT
FOR THE CAR THAT KILLED MY SON!
Even if you don't live in the Evansville area, please keep an eye out for this car. It was traveling South on I-69. It could have been coming from and going to anywhere. The Sheriff's office will follow up any ANY lead.

The Sheriff’s Office has identified the make and model of the suspect vehicle from the fatal hit and run crash that killed 23-year old David “Davy” Egan, father of two, on Friday, June 22, 2018 on I-69 near south Green River Road.
SUSPECT VEHICLE: Silver 1998-2002 Honda Accord sedan. 2-door or 4-door body style. The vehicle will have damage to the front end.

If you know of a vehicle matching this description, please contact the Sheriff's Office TIP line at 812-421-6297 or leave a web tip here.

No comments:

Post a Comment