Don't forget to visit my website! Jackie Coleman - Author

Thursday, May 9, 2019

Today is the Showing for Joann's Son

Mason James Bogard, age 15, of Evansville, passed away Saturday, May 4, 2019 at Deaconess Hospital Midtown Campus. Mason was born January 23, 2004 in South Bend, IN.

Mason lived his life to the fullest everyday and never met a stranger. He was wise beyond his fifteen years and a very kind, giving young man. Mason dearly loved the outdoors, fishing, camping, backyard campfires, spending time with his family and creating something unique and special in the kitchen. He was very patriotic; respectful of veterans and never missed a chance to thank them for their service.

Friends may visit with the family from 2:00 until 8:00 PM on Thursday at Pierre Funeral Home.

Funeral services for Mason will be held at 10:00 AM on Friday, May 10, 2019 at Pierre Funeral Home, 2601 W. Franklin Street, Pastor Darrick Hayden officiating. Burial will follow in St. Joseph Cemetery.

In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to one of the charities below:
The Semper Fi Fund, 825 College Blvd, Suite 102 PMB 609, Oceanside, CA 92057
Wounded Warrior Project, P.O. Box 758517, Topeka, KS 66675-8517
The Indiana Donor Network, 3760 Guion Road, Indianapolis, IN 46222.


My youngest daughter went to school with Mason's sister. We're going to the funeral home together when I get off work. He's at Pierre Funeral Home, where Davy was. The last time I was in that building was to pick up Davy's death certificate. I'm really dreading it, but feel like I should go and express my sorrow for her loss. I know what she's going through, and I ache for her.

I wanted to be there for his Honor Walk (you can view it here), but I just couldn't bring myself to go. The pain of Davy's death is still too raw for me to witness something like that first-hand. I started praying for them long before the 4:00 Honor Walk began. I watched the video of it the next day online ... and it was gut-wrenching. The pain on his families face was the hardest part to watch. Tears poured down their faces as they said their final good-bye ... it was the last time they would touch him with his skin still warm with life.

When Davy was in ICU on a ventilator after his wreck in 2014, touching his skin and feeling it warm was such a comfort for me. Luckily he survived, relatively unscathed. I wish Joann's son had had the same outcome. As horrible as this week has been for her and her family, I was a little jealous ... at least they got to say good-bye to him before he passed. By the time I found out Davy was gone, he was probably on his way to the coroner's office.

Davy always wanted to be a donor, but he'd been gone too long by the time he got to the hospital. Besides, after the beating he took from that car, there really wasn't much they could have donated.

I am so grateful that Mason's family decided to donate his organs. It has to bring them some measure of peace knowing part of Mason is alive ... and five people have another shot at life because of his family's generosity.

Pray that my daughter and I can bring ourselves to walk through the funeral home doors. Something tells me Mason will be in the same room Davy was in. This is going to be hard. I wasn't particularly close to Joann, but I talked to her most every day. She was always so sweet. I want her to know I care.

When I went back to work three weeks after Davy's death, I could hide somewhat. Joann is the receptionist. She won't have that luxury. Everyone who walks into the building will see her. I pray she has the strength to get through the first few days (and weeks) back at work. It's pretty hard to pretend to be normal after going through this kind of nightmare. I expect her to smile, but it will be forced, and she will be thinking of nothing but her son.

No comments:

Post a Comment