Don't forget to visit my website! Jackie Coleman - Author

Thursday, August 7, 2014

THIS is a Holiday I Can Get Onboard With!

Cape Hatteras Lighthouse,
drawn and given to me by my son.
Today is National Lighthouse Day!

On August 7, 1789, Congress approved an Act for the establishment and support of lighthouse, beacons, buoys and public piers. In Celebration of the 200th Anniversary of the signing of the Act and the commissioning of the first Federal lighthouse, Congress passed a resolution which designated August 7, 1989 as National Lighthouse Day.

I love lighthouses, so much so that I wrote a blog about lighthouses back in March. (Click here to read it ... or to refresh your memory Lighthouses).

If you're lucky enough to live near one of these landmarks, there are lots of activities planned at each location. For those not so lucky, we will have to be content to remember standing in the shadow of these iconic beacons, feeling the soft sand under our feet, the sound of the waves breaking and rolling onto the shore, and the wind from the ocean keeping us cool while the sun kisses our skin.

No comments:

Post a Comment