Don't forget to visit my website! Jackie Coleman - Author

Thursday, August 14, 2014

Childhood Books and Memories

On April 23rd of this year I posted a blog about a book I loved as a child, but couldn't remember the name (I Can't Remember the Name of a Book I LOVED as a Child).

"The Middle Sister", by Mirian E. Mason is probably the book I spoke of in the article, but I don't think it's the one that got me in trouble during that math class!

After discovering the name of the book, I bought a used copy online. I do remember the story, and I think I related with the protagonist because she was afraid of everything. As a child, I, too, was quite timid and afraid of my own shadow, so I guess that was the attraction for me. That, and the fact the I am the quintessential middle child!

The book did not live up to the built-up hype in my mind, but it's a nice story and a quick read. I can't imagine it took me long to read, even as a child. I wish I could remember the names of more of the books I read and re-read as a child. The only other one that comes to mind is "The Witch of Blackbird Pond". It was first published in 1958, so it was in print many, many years before I bought it! I don't remember anything about it other than the fact that the main character was named Prudence and I bought it from one of the Scholastic Book sales the school had. I think I'll see if I can find a copy of that book, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment