Don't forget to visit my website! Jackie Coleman - Author

Saturday, January 18, 2014

Does Anyone Else Get Mad At Apps?

When it comes to apps, I get very attached to specific versions. I hate when an app changes its interface so much that using it becomes something of a scavenger hunt for the functions that used to be second nature. Sometimes they change so much that I get mad at them and uninstall the app entirely. It's the only recourse of protest I have! I realize they don't know or care, but I know!

I am on my fourth smartphone. I went from a Treo 600, to a Treo 650, to a Blackberry Torch, to a Galaxy S4. I like my Galaxy, but not nearly as much as I loved my Blackberry. I tried the new Blackberry, but I was very unhappy with the calendar and the memo function with the new operating system, and those two things made it a deal breaker. I have tens of thousands of calendar entries dating back to 2003, and close to 300 memo's in my phone, and there isn't a day go by that I don't access the data in my memo's or past calendar events. The built-in calendar app on the Galaxy fit my needs (mostly), but the app for memo's is a joke. After I exchanged my Blackberry Z10 for the Galaxy, I spent the good part of a week downloading and demoing different notepad apps. I finally found one I could live with, and now all is right with the world.

My phone has all my important data. I make sure it can all be backed up, imported, and exported. I use my phone for calls, texts, email, calendaring, notes, and taking pictures. Period.

My iPad is for surfing the web, playing games, listening to music while I do housework, checking email quickly, and generally wasting time. Pinterest is one of the apps I used (note that is past-tense) a lot on my iPad. I have pinned lots of funny things, recipe's I'll never make, homes with features I will never be able to afford, and clothes that I will never buy ... but I've also pinned some very useful things. I would get on Pinterest most every evening. I enjoyed it. (Note that "enjoyed" is also past-tense.)

I no longer use or enjoy Pinterest on my iPad since I decided to accept the update ... and boy, was I sorry. I don't remember what they changed that made me so angry, but after using it for a few nights, I decided "Nope!", and uninstalled it. Now when I want to get on Pinterest, I have to do it the old-fashioned way ... I go to their website and login. Consequently, I don't get on Pinterest much anymore.

I understand they want to "improve" and keep things "new" and "fresh", but they need to understand when most people update an app, they're really just hoping some of the bugs are gone ... they're not looking for a "new Pinterest experience"! It would be nice if we had the option of rolling back a version after updating an app, but that doesn't appear to be possible.

I work in technology. I am constantly facing updates and upgrades. Some are good, some are great, and some leave me scratching my head ... like Windows 8. I'm hoping Windows 8 is like Windows Vista. I don't know of any business that upgraded all of their workstations from XP to Vista. I know people who upgraded some, or purchased new computers with Vista ... and wished they hadn't. Those of us making operating system decisions for technology waited for Microsoft to develop Windows 7, which is a very good, stable operating system. They updated from XP to Windows 7, bypassing Vista entirely. Windows 8 may be stable, and it may be a good idea for tablets, and despite how quickly it boots as compared to previous versions of Windows, it is not a good operating system for laptops or desktops. Everyone I know is hoping Windows 9 (or whatever their next version will be called), will be a viable alternative to Windows 7 ... because Windows 8 is surely NOT! When Microsoft comes up with something worthy, we'll update to that version, bypassing Windows 8 entirely.

I miss my Pinterest app, but not enough to re-install the app. I will probably reinstall it in the future ... but not until my memory fades and I forget how much I dislike the app and why it left such a bad taste in my mouth. By the time I download the app again, it will have changed yet again ... and I'm hoping I'll be able to live with that version ... and then ... once again ... all will be right with the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment