Thursday, October 8, 2015
Ten Life Skills to Master by Age 30
1) Changing a Flat Tire. Okay, this one makes sense. I can see this is a skill everyone should know. I'm not sure you could say I've mastered this one (since I've never actually done it), but I've seen it done enough times to know I could fumble my way through it in an emergency. And, my father did show me how ... on prom night. I had to stand in the driveway, in my prom dress, my hair in a towel, and learn how to change a flat tire. I guess Daddy decided I wasn't going to pull the "we had a flat tire" excuse. At least I just had to watch him change the tire ... he didn't make me do it.
2) Repairing Your Pipes. I've never "repaired" a pipe, but I have taken apart (and successfully put back together) the pipes under the sinks when I dropped something down the drain. Oh, wait! I think I have repaired a pipe! One of Thing 2's friends poured the wax from the Scentsy Pot down the sink in the upstairs bathroom. I had to take the pipes apart to remove the giant clump of wax. I've also put a new kit thing in the toilet to stop a leak. Neither was done by age thirty, though, so technically I shouldn't get points for this one ... but I never needed to repair a pipe before age thirty, so I'm going to give myself points anyway!
3) Assembling an Emergency Kit. While I can see the practicality of this, is it really a skill?
4) Mixing a Signature Cocktail. This made the top ten? Really? Of all the skills one needs to survive, a signature cocktail made the top ten?! Unless opening a bottle of beer or getting the cork out of a bottle of wine counts, then no ... I don't have a signature cocktail ... nor do I care to. But, I can wire and hang a ceiling fan and light fixtures, which I consider a more essential skill than getting people drunk on a special drink! Because this "life skill" is so stupid, I'm going to say I get points just for having to read it.
5) Mastering at Least One Dish. This is an easy one. I have mastered some very tasty dishes. My mom, and amazing cook, didn't teach me how to cook, though ... any culinary skill I possess was acquired through trial and error ... to both the horror and delight (sometimes during the same meal) of those gracing my table.
7) Figuring Out the Tip. Now that our state sales tax is 8% at restaurants, I double the tax. Before that, I figured out what 10% was (which is about the easiest calculation ever invented ... even for the math-impaired), then add half of that on top of it to get 15%. These calculations are so simple that figuring out the tip shouldn't be a life skill you should master by age thirty ... they should be a skill you should master by third grade!
8) Creating a Monthly Budget. I've always had a monthly budget. There have been times I ignored it and spent foolishly, but I've always had one.
9) Effectively Packing Luggage. If by "effectively" you mean have I gone someplace and packed everything I needed, then yes ... I have mastered this skill. If packing too much disqualifies me, then no, this isn't a skill I possess. I really can't pack only what I need. What if I spill something and need a replacement outfit? What if I'm bloated one day and can't wear that cute, body-hugging dress without looking like a marshmallow with a rubber band wrapped around the middle? I have to have a variety of clothing options when I go someplace, but shoes are what really trip me up. I need both dressy and casual everyday shoes, and heels for dresses ... and most dresses need a different color shoe. When we go to the mountains, I need tennis shoes, hiking boots, rubber boots ... and pretty shoes to match all the dresses I brought. I often remove clothing to add more shoes. Do I ever wear them all? Nope ... but I need them ... just in case!! So, in my opinion, I have mastered this skill!
10) Mending Clothing. This one, I can do. I can hem by hand and make it look as though they've been sewn on a machine ... even jeans. I can nip in the waist or adjust straps like a pro, and I can replace buttons, zippers, and repair seams in my sleep.
I might be fudging a bit, but I'm going to give myself a perfect score!