Don't forget to visit my website! Jackie Coleman - Author

Monday, September 22, 2014

Hobbit Day

Hobbit Day is the birthday of the hobbits Bilbo and Frodo Baggins, two fictional characters in J.R.R. Tolkien's popular set of books "The Hobbit" and "The Lord of the Rings". (I have never read the books or seen any of those movies, so I had to search the web for information.) According to my research, both Bilbo and Frodo were said to be born on September 22, but of different years. Bilbo was born in the year of 2890 and Frodo in the year of 2968 in the Third Age (1290 and 1368 respectively in Shire-Reckoning.).  I'm not exactly sure what any of that means, but I assume anyone who gives a rat's butt about Hobbit's will!

The American Tolkien Society first proclaimed Hobbit Day and Tolkien Week in 1978, and defines them as this: "Tolkien Week is observed as the calendar week containing September 22, which is always observed as Hobbit Day", but acknowledges that Hobbit Day pre-dates their designation.

Due to the discrepancies between the Shire Calendar and the Gregorian Calendar there is some debate as to when to celebrate Hobbit Day, since the actual birthday would be between September 12 and 14 on our calendar.

(Yawn ... I'm boring myself!)

I'm not sure what you're supposed to do to celebrate, but for all you sci-fi aficionado's out there... Happy Hobbit Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment