Don't forget to visit my website! Jackie Coleman - Author

Thursday, June 9, 2016

My Front Yard

Is slowly coming together.


I hung the porch swing from a tree in the front yard a month or so ago, and it's already logged countless hours rocking us back and forth in the warm sunshine. 

When I was looking at the house to buy it, I didn't pay much attention to the tree from which it's hanging. After I moved in, I looked up and realized it was a sweetgum tree ... full of those awful gumballs.

I had a couple of these trees at my old house, and I hated them. I love the shade they provide, but they hurt when you step on them, and they sound like popcorn popping when you cut the grass! I guess you have to take the good with the bad.

There is apparently something you can spray on them to stop them from making the gumballs, but you have to spray every leaf, and since this tree is at least 75' tall, there's no way to do that. I tried burning them once, but they seem to be fireproof! It appears as if I'm going to have to learn to love those pesky gumballs, but that seems unlikely. I have a feeling my (future) granddaughters will hate them as much as I do ... because their brother(s) and boy cousin(s) will take pleasure in pelting them with the gumballs. I can already hear them now ... "Grandma, the boys keep throwing gumballs at us. Make them stop!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment