Don't forget to visit my website! Jackie Coleman - Author

Sunday, June 5, 2016

Weeding the Bird Girl Bed

On my to-do list for the week was to weed Bird Girl's flowerbed. I tried, but there was so much grass, wild strawberries, and several wood-stemmed weeds with deep roots that it was impossible. To get the roots of all of these, the only option I had was to completely gut the bed. I hated doing it because I loved the phlox that was there. It was established and mature, and filled the bed. But, to get the weeds out and make sure they stay gone, I had no choice.

Bird Girl's flowerbed, half-way done.
After I got everything dug out, I covered it with black plastic (held in place with brick bats) to kill anything that I might have missed, and to keep anything new from taking root while I decide what I want to plant there. I figured it would take most of the day, but it only took a few hours.


Today is my last day off before I go back to work and I still haven't tackled the side bed. With a little luck, I can get that done today. There are still plenty of things on my to-do list, but getting the flowerbeds weeded, planted, and mulched was top priority. I can work on the side bed while Thing 3 works on some of the other things that need done. I've got all summer and fall to whip my yard into shape ... I just hope it doesn't take until fall to get everything done. But honestly, has anyone ever finished all the projects on their to-do lists? I still have unfinished to-lists from my old house ... and I lived there for over fifteen years!

No comments:

Post a Comment