Don't forget to visit my website! Jackie Coleman - Author

Thursday, June 23, 2016

Tomorrow is Fairy Day

(Click on the picture to enlarge)
When I was a little girl, I was always enamored with miniatures. I could stare at miniature dollhouses for hours on end, daydreaming about how fun it would be if I could shrink down and play in them. When my kids were very young, I made miniature foods (above) for local hobby stores and craft fairs.

During my miniature hobbyist days, I purchased a door made for miniature houses with the intention of mounting it someplace in my house, as though little people lived in the walls. When I bought the door, I was living in a rental and couldn't mount it permanently, which meant I couldn't mount it at all ... if it was removable, the kids would remove it!

When I purchase a home of our own, I bought a 100 year old Victorian with the wide, rich molding made from 100 year old oak. I couldn't bring myself to attach the door to that beautiful molding, nor could I bring myself to cut an opening for the door. Besides, if you've ever worked with 100 year old oak, you know it's almost as hard and dense as concrete!

So, I hung onto the door, wishing I could think of a cute place to put it. Then, I moved ... and I had the perfect place! I'd had that little door for almost 25 years, but I knew exactly where it was.

Mounting the one door only made me want more, so I bought a resin one, chipped away some bark from the tree in the front yard, and mounted it. I plan to add more fairy doors (and houses!) for my grandkids to discover as they roam around the yard.

My daughters love my fairy doors and gardens. Thing 1 has a fairy door at her house and plans to add more. Thing 2 saw my blog yesterday and ran home at lunch to see the fairy garden in person! (You can view it here.)

One of my sisters went crazy for my first fairy door, so I sent her one for her birthday. She had a lot of fun deciding how to decorate it and where do put it. She made a mouse door (picture at left) for another sister. Isn't it adorable? I'm going to try my hand at making one, too!

Last night I made a cobblestone "patio" in preparation for my second fairy garden. It's not exactly what I was going for, and I'll probably tinker with it a little more, but it's passable as is. My third fairy garden will have a brick patio, but more on that some other time.


I'm still spellbound by miniatures and I am having so much fun with these silly fairy doors and gardens! I realize it's becoming somewhat of an addiction, but there are worse things to be addicted to ... and I rather enjoy having this miniature monkey on my back!

No comments:

Post a Comment