Don't forget to visit my website! Jackie Coleman - Author

Saturday, October 18, 2014

Square Trees? My Bucket List Just Grew!

Photo courtesy of passporttopanama.blogspot.com
In Panama, there is a place called Valley of the Square Trees where, with no intervention, seemingly ordinary cottonwood trees grow with square trunks.

Isn't that cool?

Growing in the shadow of a giant volcano, El Valle de Anton, these trees have scientists baffled. Saplings were taken to see if their square growth could be replicated in other locations, and it could not. Growing one of these saplings anywhere else on earth produced round trunks. There is something specific to this location that causes the trunks to grow square. Even their tree rings are square!

I think I might need to add this place to my bucket list.

No comments:

Post a Comment