Don't forget to visit my website! Jackie Coleman - Author

Saturday, February 14, 2015

An Early Valentines Dinner ... and Roses ... and Thin Mints!


I offered to cook my boyfriend dinner for Valentines Day, but he said no. He loves my cooking, so I knew it wasn't self-preservation causing him to refuse. I asked if we were going out to eat, which would be unusual, since neither he nor I like eating in a noisy, crowded restaurant on Valentines Day. He said no ... that he was cooking me dinner. I smiled :) While he knows how to cook, it is not his forte and he does not enjoy it. He's much more comfortable playing guitar or building something or closing business deals. His offer to to cook for me was incredibly sweet ... and terribly romantic.

He picked me up earlier than usual and we went to his house, where a dozen beautiful white roses and a box of Thin Mint Girl Scout cookies (YEA!!!!!!) were waiting for me. The Girl Scout cookies weren't part of my Valentines Day present ... they were just because some Girl Scouts were selling them outside the grocery store and he knew I loved them. He wasn't sure which were my favorites and agonized over which ones to buy. He almost bought me Savannah's because he knows I like Savannah (Georgia), but then decided I liked the city, not necessarily the cookie, and settled on Thin Mints. BINGO!!!

I sat at the table sipping a glass of our favorite wine while he cooked, forbidding me to help in the slightest. We talked and laughed, and had a lovely meal ... and I couldn't stop smiling. I'm not a complicated, high-maintenance woman, and this man knows how to make me happy. I don't require diamonds or expensive gifts ... all I want is time with him ... and when he's doing something just to make me happy, my heart is full and I am happy ... incredibly so!

When I woke up this morning, I still had a smile on my face. I had taken my flowers to my bedroom with me when I got home. I wanted to look at them ... and Olivia wanted to eat them. I had also taken my cookies to my bedroom with me when I got home last night. I wanted to save them for later ... and Thing 2 wanted to eat them! I grabbed my roses and my cookies, and came downstairs to have coffee and Girl Scout cookies for breakfast.

This is our eighth Valentines Day together, and I still get butterflies in my belly every time he calls or texts or emails or walks through my door. When he smiles at me or takes my hand protectively in his, I marvel that of all the women in the world, this amazing man wants me ... and I know I'm the luckiest woman alive.


No comments:

Post a Comment