Don't forget to visit my website! Jackie Coleman - Author

Sunday, June 15, 2014

If You Still Have Your Father, Treasure Him

My dad (left) and a friend I can't identify ...
drinking (what else) rot-gut Sterling beer (yuk!).
It's hard to believe my father has been gone for over 27 years now. Daddy was closing in on 46 when I was born, so I didn't get to keep him as long as most. One of my high school teachers recently retired, and his mother and father was at his retirement party! My parents have both been gone so long I am always taken aback a little when I realize other people still have their parents ... especially when they themselves reach retirement age! I barely even remember what it's like to have a mom and a dad to turn to, to visit, and to spend the holidays with.

My father worked hard to provide for all of us, and we had a nice, comfortable life. We always had everything we needed and a lot of what we wanted. All in all, I had a pretty good childhood.

Daddy wasn't perfect, but what parent is? Kids don't come with manuals, so you do the best you can and pray your kids will grow up happy, healthy, and full of confidence. All of us "kids" turned out pretty good, so my parents should give each other a pat on the back for a job well done. We're all successful and happy. My brother married a woman who has been his best friend for decades, and my sisters all married wonderful men who make them very happy. But I really hit the jackpot ... I've got the most amazing man God ever put on this good, green Earth! My parents would definitely approve of him:)

Mama and Daddy did a good job raising us, and I think they would both be proud of us and all their grandkids. I think I'll sprinkle bird seed on my parent's graves today so the birds will come and sing to them.

Happy Father's Day, Daddy. I miss you every day, but I miss you most on Father's Day.

2 comments:

  1. Great blog! If you lived in Evansville back then, what else would you drink? :)
    Janet

    ReplyDelete