Don't forget to visit my website! Jackie Coleman - Author

Sunday, June 22, 2014

When the Cat's Away ...

My boyfriend was out of town this weekend, so I was left to my own devices. They say absence makes the heart grow fonder, but in my case, that's not true ... there is no way I could be any fonder of him than I already am!! (I know ... gag!)

Anyway, Friday night came and the evening was wide open before me. The world was my oyster. I could do anything I wanted. Anything at all! So what did I do? I went to his house and painted a door for him. (To say I'm wild is an understatement ... is it not?!)

Outside (left) after I began painting),
and inside (right) after the first coat.
It took a REALLY long time to tape both sides!
Saturday I faced another day without my sweetie, so I got up, did my chores, then lazed around the pool. After sunning in the pool like a turtle on a log, I cleaned up and ran some errands. With my chores and errands out of the way, I was once again free to do anything ... so I headed back over to my boyfriend's to put a second coat of paint on his door. After removing the tape, I realized I'd made a classic rookie mistake.

Note to self: Scrape old paint off glass before painting a door!

All four sides of every lite panel is like this ... all fifteen lites ... on both sides of the door!
Whoever painted this door white should not be allowed to paint ... and I suspect I know who that was. When he bought the house, he had a window removed and this door installed. I asked his daughter if she knew who painted the door. She said she didn't know, but it wasn't her or her sister. That really only leaves one suspect ... the sweet, sexy man that sets my heart a flutter.

He is, without a doubt, the smartest, most capable, talented man I know. He can do, fix, or build pretty much anything. Anything, that is, except paint! (Can I get an "Amen"?)

I told his daughter that in the six and a half years we've been together, that I've never had to put my foot down with him, but if I ever see him with a paint brush in his hand, I will have no choice but to issue an ultimatum ... it's either me or the paintbrush! She nodded knowingly and confided that she's on my side ... and that she and her sister have already issued that exact same ultimatum to him! I worked as long as I could on the door, but I was starting to go cross-eyed and nod off, so I called it a day (night) and went home. (It was really tedious and boring!) 

I'm going back over this afternoon to work on scraping paint off the glass. The problem is that it sometimes pulls off the new paint ... so I will have to take a teeny-tiny craft detail brush to carefully re-paint where the new paint as been pulled off. (Ugg!) I'll post a picture of the finished door ... providing I get it done before dementia sets in.

In case you're feeling sorry for him because I have so much fun when he's gone, just know that whenever I'm out of town, he gets just as crazy. The last time I went to Ocracoke, he built (another) deck in his yard ...
The "Ocracoke Deck" ... as seen from the "Upper Deck"
As seen from the "Treehouse Deck"
I think it's safe to say that when the cat's away and the mouse is playing, the only thing either of us worry about is that the other one drinks enough water, doesn't throw their back out, and doesn't get a sunburn!

No comments:

Post a Comment