Don't forget to visit my website! Jackie Coleman - Author

Thursday, May 24, 2018

I Still Can't Decide What to Plant Here



This patch of ground was grass when I moved here. I was a real pain to cut, mostly weeds, and completely useless. So, last summer, I dug up all the grass (weeds) and covered it in black plastic to keep the weeds down until I decided what I wanted to plant.

I vacillated between a couple raised bed gardens or a combination decorative plants, like hosta's, azalea's, hydrangea's, daylilies, etc. A year later, I still don't know what I want to do with this area

Since I can't decide what to do with it, and I was sick of looking at the black plastic (with weeds popping up where the plastic shifted, I decided to just cover it in mulch. I wish the air conditioner wasn't in this spot, because I could just extend the patio ... and have room for my big outdoor table and chair set. But, it is there, and I have to deal with it. I've contemplated building a lattice enclosure around it, with one side opening to allow technicians to service it, but I'm not doing anything until I decide what I want to plant.

I've bought cobblestone edging bricks to put around it, but I can't pick them up until Friday. Once I get the edging in place, I can add more mulch. I bought ten bags of black mulch last weekend. I knew I'd need more than ten, but I can only haul so much in my vehicle. This small spot took all ten ... and still needs more! This weekend I'll have to buy a lot more mulch, because I have a lot of flowerbeds that need it. I'm thinking I'm going to need at least twenty more bags.

After the flowerbeds are taken care of, I'll need to start on one of the many other outdoor projects I've given myself to do this year!

1 comment:

  1. I think you should plant hostas and azaleas that way it will be pretty every summer and you don't have to worry about it again :)

    ReplyDelete