Don't forget to visit my website! Jackie Coleman - Author

Thursday, June 20, 2019

The Last Full Day of Davy's Life


We didn't know it at the time, of course ... but one year ago today, Davy was living the last full day of his life. Tomorrow will be one year. ONE YEAR! Hold on tight to those you have around you and let them know they are loved, because sadly, no one knows when it will be their time to go. Don't squander the opportunity to spoil the people you love and let them know how important they are to you. Good dishes aren't for just company ... sharing time and treasures with the ones you love the most are special occasions.

The next day, the day Davy died, I bought him ShrinersFest buttons so that he could see the air show at the riverfront. I took the kids to the air show every year when they were growing up. They all liked them, but Davy LOVED them, particularly the Blue Angels. I thought about taking the buttons to his house after I bought them and surprising him, but it was Friday night and rush hour and I'd have to go "all the way" on the east side ...so I didn't go. A decision I regret unto this day.

"Besides," I told myself, "I'll see him before then."


The next time I saw him, he was in a casket. I pinned one of the buttons on his shirt and kept the other for myself as a reminder to never put off doing something kind or going out of my way for the people who are special to me.

Pardon my French, but that was one hell of hard a lesson to learn.


No comments:

Post a Comment