Don't forget to visit my website! Jackie Coleman - Author

Saturday, September 24, 2016

Hummingbird Migration

One of my out of town sisters came to visit a few Sundays back. I fixed a big breakfast for everyone. My kids all left, one by one, for other obligations, so my sister and I spent our visit in my kitchen, sitting at the island, talking and watching the hummingbirds at the feeder.

She said her husband had reminded her when she would have to stop feeding the hummingbirds at their house in Georgia. I was a little surprised ... I never stop filling the hummingbird feeder until the little things quit coming.

Feeling confused (and ignorant), I looked up hummingbird migration to see when/if I need to stop filling the feeder. And the answer? I don't! Hummingbirds will migrate regardless of the availability of food. In fact, they migrate while food is plentiful so that they can be assured of food on their long flight to Central America.

The article went on to state that by mid-September, the hummingbirds at North American feeders are birds that are migrating south, not the same ones seen throughout  summer, and that they appreciate a good meal on their journey.

I love watching them at the feeder ... even if it does interrupt my life ... because I have to stop and stare and stay still so that they don't get spooked by my movement and fly away.  I'm so happy I don't have to quit feeding them.

Evidence suggests hummingbirds return to the same location they were born, so I can expect to see Pearl again next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment