Don't forget to visit my website! Jackie Coleman - Author

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Happy New Year's Eve!

Today is the last day of 2013. Did anyone keep their resolutions? I did ... mostly!  But, I try to make realistic resolutions. If you set the bar too high, you're just setting yourself up for failure, right? So, I set goals I can realistically achieve with hard work ... and overall ... I'm pleased with 2013.

In 2013, I did not win a Pulitzer or Nobel Peace Prize, or rescue children from a burning home. I didn't set any records in swimming or on the track. I didn't fix the hole in the ozone layer ... I haven't heard anything about that hole in years ... do we still have a hole in the ozone layer? I didn't build a time machine or discover a cure for cancer.

Nonetheless, I'm pleased with 2013 ... a year that saw the release of my second novel, A Summer in Ocracoke, and the beginning of novel number three! My oldest daughter became engaged, and I got to take not one, but two amazing vacations in Georgia and South Carolina! I got to spend time, share meals, and play with family and friends. I grew some beautiful flowers, tasted delicious wine, saw some breathtaking scenery, swam in the ocean, and took naps in the sun.

As far as my New Years Eve festivities, they will be rather muted this year. My sweetie is on a mini-vacation, so sadly, I won't get a kiss a midnight. Don't worry ... he made sure I wouldn't be upset that he would be gone on New Years Eve before he made plans to go, and I'm not upset in the least. In fact, I encouraged him to go. He worked himself to exhaustion this year, and he deserves some time alone to work on his music. As a writer, I completely understand his desire to go away alone and work on his craft! It makes me smile that he can give this gift to himself :)

We usually spend New Years Eve with my best friend, her husband, and a few other couples, but this year they decided to forego their annual party. She and her husband are spending a "quiet" evening with their grandkids, and my kids all have their own festivities to attend.

So this year, I'm left to my own devices. I'm a solitary creature by nature, and the quintessential homebody. I've been off work for eleven days now, and have left the house exactly four times! Since I will be all alone this evening and can do anything I want to do ... I will do exactly that! I'll make sure the doors are locked and the alarm is set ... and I will spend the day and evening writing! That probably sounds pretty boring to most, but it's what I've spent the majority of these eleven days doing, and it thrills my heart that I get to do it again on New Years Eve!

I realize that most people would not consider my life exciting. The more adventurous folks might even say it's dull and empty, but I'm really quite satisfied. I will never be mentioned in history books, or publish articles in prestigious science and medical journals, and nothing will be named after me. But that's okay. Those aren't the goals I aspire to attain. I want happy, healthy, successful children (and someday grandchildren). I want to write books that touch peoples hearts. I want friends I can count on and to know the love of a good man. And I have all of those things, so I'd say I'm ahead of the game!

Professionally, goals for 2014 are simple ... I want to publish my third novel and blog more faithfully. Personally, I'd be happy with maintaining the status quo!

I hope everyone gets to spend this New Years Eve doing something they love ... with family, friends, or by themselves! If you plan to ring in the New Year with libations, remember ... PLEASE DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE! Stay safe, have a wonderful New Years Eve, and a very happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment