Don't forget to visit my website! Jackie Coleman - Author

Wednesday, December 25, 2013

My PINK Nativity

There's nothing wrong with your screen ... or your eyes ... I have a pink nativity set. 

That's right ... I have a pink baby Jesus ... pink Mary, pink Joseph, pink wise men, camels, and assorted barnyard animals. Even the angel watching from the heavens is pink!
When my kids were young, my sister bought the above nativity set at a ceramic shop for the kids to paint for me for Christmas. Her idea was to paint them a light brown, then antique them to make the set look like wood. But NOOOOO ... my kids INSISTED the nativity needed to be pink. She did her best to talk them out of it, but they were adamant ..."It HAS to be pink ... that's Mama's favorite color!!"

I remember when they gave it to me. They all stood around when I opened it, so excited they could hardly stand still. I remember it took a moment for me to find my voice when I looked into the box and saw all the pink! But, I gushed about how wonderful it was as they all stared at me, beaming with pride.

"Look, Mama ... it's PINK!".

"Yes, I can see that it's pink. It's wonderful! Thank you!" I replied, wondering why I had a pink nativity.

Later, my sister pulled me aside and told me the story of how I came to own the only pink Holy Family. I loved my nativity and the thought that the kids put into picking its color, but a part of me wished my sister had been more resourceful, or thought more quickly and told kids, "Sorry, guys, but they were all out of pink paint."

For the record, I do like pink, but it is not my favorite color! I'm sad to say that I really don't have a favorite color. Growing up my favorite color was orange, but that's not my favorite anymore. I've tried many times to decide what my favorite color is, and have come to the conclusion that I honestly don't have one. I like different colors for different things. For instance, I like pink sweaters, red kitchens, and brown (wood) nativities!

So, every Christmas I drag out my pink nativity scene and set it up. I think it would look a whole lot better if it looked like it was made of wood, but I must admit ... I do smile every time I look at it!



No comments:

Post a Comment